As consumers increasingly prefer smaller, more portable, wearable electronic devices, assembling the intricate components can prove challenging. This challenge is further compounded when considering skin contact material requirements and the bonding issues these materials can pose.
Fortunately for a wearable electronic device manufacturer, Bostik’s Born2Bond™ Ultra HV was able to address their bonding challenges while increasing their design opportunities overall.
A wearable electronic device manufacturer was using a cured silicone material for a fitness tracking component. While cured silicone was chosen because it addressed skin contact requirements (biocompatibility, sweat and odor resistant), bonding it to polycarbonate was seemingly impossible due to its low surface energy.
The company tried many leading adhesive technologies currently available on the market and invested significant time and resources to solving the problem. However, nothing worked for their manual application processes. It was beginning to look like the company would need to forego the entire
Fortunately, a leading distributor reached out to Bostik for our team’s thoughts on adhesive technologies that would be up to the challenge. In addition to bonding cured silicone to polycarbonate, the adhesive needed to work well for very small, precise and fast manual application methods.
After trialing Born2Bond™ products across multiple departments, the company agreed that our Ultra HV kit (adhesive and primer) provided unmatched adhesion compared to any other technology they had tried. In addition to bonding the initial component together, this kit offered high bond performance for other component assembly applications.
Through this trial, it was clear that not only did our Ultra HV kit solve their initial bonding problem, but it also opened up the opportunity for other design and bonding possibilities not previously considered.
This is because the Ultra HV kit is based on a fast-bonding, formulated instant adhesive technology designed specifically for challenging, “by-the-dot” assembly needs.
Since implementing the Born2Bond™ Ultra HV kit across their production lines, the manufacturer has been able to:
- Increase precise application capabilities due to long nozzle applicator
- Enhance overall product aesthetics given ‘by-the-dot’ application
- Improve capacity due to rapid, 15-second fixture time
- Heighten aesthetics on black substrates via low-blooming characteristics
Further, the manufacturer was able to experience the product’s value without having to:
- Invest funds in any equipment
- Increase their manufacturing space
The manufacturer also found that the product worked best with a Born2Bond™ Primer and seamlessly integrated into production line processes.
ULTRA HV KIT
Features and benefits:
- Low odor – enhancing worker safety and comfort
- Less brittle than conventional instants – increasing performance capabilities
- Multi-substrate adhesion – improving process flexibility and design opportunities
- Fast fixture time – increasing capacity and quick handling
- Long open time – enhancing application flexibility
- Low blooming – improving final aesthetics
Contact us today to find out how Born2Bond™ can help solve your complex product assembly challenges.